Monday, January 07, 2008

Students Back In School Today

Pride and Prejudice 2005

Today was the first day back for the students after the Christmas break. I'm going to have the Seniors read Pride and Prejudice while my regular Junior class will read Red Badge of Courage. My Honors English Juniors will be reading Huckleberry Finn.

The Red Badge of Courage starring Audie Murphy and Bill Mauldin

The Juniors will also be competing in an essay contest Oklahoma sponsors each year on Abraham Lincoln. I'm going to give an in-school prize and submit the best entry for the state contest.

Illustration from The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

As if I weren't busy enough, I'm going to try to start a Young Democrats club. Our school is about 80% African American, and with Barack Obama doing so well in the race for the White House, I think this would be an opportune time to get the school's students interested in the political process.



This should be an interesting New Year

No comments: