Thursday, January 03, 2008

Obama and Huckabee win in Iowa

Barack Obama

Barack Obama is the only presidential candidate who I have heard in person. My friend Andrew Rice, who is running for the U.S. Senate, brought him to OKC. He would be a good candidate and a very good president. Obama and I share something else. We are both members of the United Church of Christ. I know him to be a man of deep faith which forms part of his committment to the work of Justice.

Mike Huckabee

Huckabee also is a man of faith. Like my father, he is an ordained minister. I am impressed with Gov. Huckabee's spirited campaigning. His politics is far from mine, but he represents real change, and I think that's his appeal.

An Obama v. Huckabee race would be very interesting. A former governor from a Confederate state which once gave its vote to George Wallace running against an African American from one of the Free States. As Abe Lincoln once said, "We cannot escape history."

No comments: