Friday, March 28, 2008

Chess Blog

Bison Chess Club Logo
I came across a blog by Susan Polgar who is a chess grandmaster as well as a four time World Champion. The more I get into chess, the more I find that there is an inexhaustible wealth of material about it. Someone somewhere claimed that there have been more books written about the game of chess than any other game. I find this surprising considering the amount of TV time Poker gets these days.
Chessboard with standard Algebraic nNotation
Mr. Lyle and I are going to begin an after school chess program at OCHS. We simply do not have enough time to do more than play a game in our morning chess session. Sometimes that's not enough. The first thing I plan to teach is chess notation which is a method for recording chess games, much like keeping a scorecard in baseball. (Baseball and chess have much in common. I'll have to explore that in another post.) I've ordered a demonstration board to help teach tactics and strategy. I've been trying to teach myself a little about the game, and I'm fortunate to have Mr. Lyle helping me since he knows more about it than do I.

We start next Thursday. Wish me luck.

No comments: