Monday, February 11, 2008

Responses to the Coppernoll Column

The Donated Board Looks a Bit Like This

I've had some responses to Carrie Coppernoll's column that ran on Saturday. This morning a man came to my classroom to offer me an inlaid chess table with some very good looking chess pieces done on a "Roman Empire" theme (Augustus Caesar as King, Roman footsoldiers as pawns, senators as bishops and so forth). Of course, I said a very grateful yes. The kids will fight over who gets to play the set, so I am going to have to make it some sort of "honor" to get to use it.

He explained that he and his wife would play chess regularly, but that she had passed away last year. He wanted to donate the set so someone would get as much joy out of it has he had.

Very generous people we have living in our community.

No comments: