Sunday, February 17, 2008

Having Family Over This Weekend



My brother and sister-in-law along with their daughter, my niece, are staying with us this weekend. My niece has been accpeted at the University of Oklahoma and hopes to get into their drama program. She is particularly interesting in sets and costuming and brought a portfolio of her work to show those in charge of admitting students to the program.

Her designs looked very good to this untrained eye, but the competiton is very stiff. My brother-in-law told me that only about 40-45 students are accepted out of the over 2400 who typically apply.

I have been very fortunate in the set of in-laws I have now. You cannot pick your relatives, but I have had the benefit of a good draw. Most of my immediate family lives very far away from me, mostly in the Pacific Northwest, so we do not see each other as much as we would like. I have a brother pastoring in South Texas, Bryan to be precise, and we should get together more often.

However, Time and Opportunity are two sisters who seldom get together much in my life these days. I guess I should make a greater effort to bring them together. Who know how much of either I have left in my life.

No comments: