Thursday, January 01, 2009

New Year, Same Old Resolutions

Happy 2009!
I once was big on New Year's Resolutions. I always wanted to "reinvent" myself. So I resolved to read more, eat less, exercise more, worry less, write more, criticize less and so on.

I usually found that by the 2nd week of the new year, whatever year it was, I was pretty much back to being the same old, same old I'd always been.

The New Year is really just an artificial creation that helps to give us some fixed points in our lives. There is nothing natural about designating the 12th or 11th day after the winter solstice as the beginning of a new historical era. So why do we put such importance on it as a time of new beginnings other than the fact that we have a need to look back and look ahead and this is about the best we've been able to come up with so far?

I do want to do some things better this year just as I want to make some improvement all through my life.

I want to be a better job as a political organizer. I don't know yet if that means I will run again for Oklahoma County chairman or try for some other office in the Democratic Party, but I resolve to stay involved and do my best at whatever I do.

I want to be a better teacher. My students deserve the best I can give them, so I'm going to work on planning my lessons and getting my grading done in a timely manner.

I want to be healthier, so I'm going to work a little at it this year. We'll see how long that lasts.

I want to be a better person, so I'm going to work things of the spirit. I once studied for the ministry, and I've never lost my interest in spirituality, so I'd like to explore this part of my life again.

I also resolve to get back on this blog more. I enjoy writing, and some tell me they enjoy reading some of what I have to say.

So here's to a new year, and a not so new, but hopefully, improved me.

If anyone is reading this, I wish you a safe, properous New Year.

No comments: