Saturday, August 02, 2008

Doing the Lord's Work on the Campaign Trail

Dana Orwig

Cat and I went out this morning to help the campaign of Dana Orwig who is trying to become the representative for State House District 87. Dana is one of several fellow teachers, along with Donnie Lewis in HD 100 and Ed Holzberger in HD 83, who have taken on the difficult job of running for elective office.

What we did was not very challenging. We just went into a precinct and put door hangers on designated doors telling the voters that Dana would soon be in their neighborhood to visit with them personally. It is a kind of introduction.

Other than it being very hot, this wasn't hard at all. It simply involved walking the neighborhoods and hanging the cards on doorknobs. But I always feel good after doing something like this because it makes me feel like I am fulfilling my duties as a citizen. I call it "Doing the Lord's Work" since I feel that any good work is the work the Lord would have us do.

No comments: