About Me

My photo

I am a high school English teacher in an urban high school in Oklahoma City. I am a member of the American Federation of Teachers, Local 2309. I am a Democrat, a union activist and a worker for social justice. I also am a Christian (Congregationalist). I play chess and coach our school chess team.

Monday, February 13, 2006

Language That Fails Love


Language that Fails Love
For Cat from Lynn (a sorta sonnet)

Oh, that my words had words so that
When I tell my love, of my love,
My words could say to her
What this poor, stamm’ring fool
Really means is . . . .
Poor words, how can you tell
Her that she centers me,
That she fills the corners of my life,
That I do not know where
I end and she begins. . . .
Poor metaphors, how can you compare
She who has no compare?
My heart is full, but when I speak,
My language limps, my words are weak.

No comments: