Sunday, February 14, 2016

Scalia, Prof Development, Student Testing, Valentines, and a teacher in search of a topic


I don't really have a topic in mind today, but I thought I would just sit down and see if anything at all happens.  


I could write about the death of Associate Justice Antonin Scalia's death and the implication it has for the Supreme Court, Pres. Obama and the 2016 election, but that's getting all sorts of coverage and commentary. I don't really have anything to add to it other than we now have a chance to bend the Moral Arc of the Universe a bit more towards something like justice. 

Scalia never really understood that in order to approach the realm of justice, one has to change directions from how it was understood in the past to how it should be understood in the present and projected towards the future.  His idea of justice was something that had been revealed and to make any changes was to deviate from that revelation.

I could also write about the fact that tomorrow I will be in school, but my students will not.  February 15 is "Professional Development Day" in the district. Often this is a time where we listen and somewhat participate when an educational "consultant" comes in and tells us that we have been teaching our students all wrong.  

A few of us will be doing that this time round because the district has something in store for their particular field of teaching.  However, most of us will be working on our CFAs, remediation, and data reviews.  This is actually a pretty good thing because it means we will have time for all the stuff that fills up our planning periods, after school time, and often our evenings and weekends.

I will also be preparing to 

Give Another Test!!!!!
Specifically the

The Oklahoma Public School District has decided to give all juniors in high school the SAT on March 2nd just as we did the ACT back in 1st semester.  So we have to train on how to give it on Monday.  

Many people give lip service to the fact that we test students too much, but in reality each year students take more and more and more tests.  I think sometime in the future students will take a new test each day of the school year. Then we REALLY will be teaching them.

I also could write about the fact that I had a wonderful Valentine's Day weekend with my wife.
We stayed in a nice hotel together, had a great meal at a fine restaurant, and enjoyed one another's love.  I am very fortunate to have found and married my wife Cat.  I tell folks that when I found her I won the lottery, and I really mean it.  My only regret is that we did not find each other sooner, but I think it happened when we were truly prepared for each other.

Well, I really don't have anything to write about, so I will just close and wish you all a Happy President's Day.

Only 7 More Days Till Spring Training Begins!!!!!



No comments: