Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Our Reading Club


I have tried to have a reading club at the high school for several years now.  A big part of the problem is finding the time for the club and getting the interest of the students.

At first, we had a fairly large club going with around 20-25 showing up once a week.  It started out as a Steampunk Reading Club.  
Me with my Steampunk hat discussing Steampunk books with some students.


We have dwindled down to 4 or 5, and we don't read Steampunk only. We read mainly fantasy books, usually Urban Fantasy like The Maze Runner or Mortal Instruments.

As I said, one problem is time.  Most of our students have to ride on buses to get home, so an after school reading club is out of the question.  That leaves lunch hour which for the high school kids is divided into two lunches.  I also have meeting with my Professional Learning Community (PLC) made up of the high school English teachers.  

Right now, we are reading The Golden Compass which is part of a trilogy entitled His Dark Instruments by Philip Pullman.

This book has many of the marks of Steampunk. It's an alternative history that features both real technology and magical devices.  I've enjoyed reading it. I will find out tomorrow when the group meets for the weekly get together to discuss our reading.




No comments: