Saturday, May 05, 2012

May 4, 2012

I failed to write about school on Friday.

We had many students out of school yesterday. Several students were out of the building for sports and music. We had the state track meet in Ardmore and the Tri-State Music festival in Enid.  Some seniors seem to feel as if school for them should be over.

So most of my classes were about half full.  I am always torn when things like this happen because I want to carry on school and help my students achieve the best education they can get.  But I know that what I teach that day will be missed by many students, so I may have to repeat much of what we did next week.

I did have one of those moments we teachers live for. The time when a student really "gets it".  We were watching the end of Our Town, which deals with the funeral of one of the main characters, a girl named Emily who dies during childbirth.  She realizes that the living never truly appreciate the gift of life and the pleasure of little things.  When I asked my students what the theme of the play is, one young man, a bright kid who often does not show out his intelligence, told the class, "It's that everyday life is beautiful." 

I went home feeling very good about the profession I have chosen.

No comments: