Friday, March 20, 2015

My Mission Statement

If there is one principle, one guiding concept for my life, I would hope that it is summed up in the word, "and Justice for All."  I have tried, as much as is within my feeble power, to bring about some measure of justice in the world. I hope that because I have lived, that the realm of Justice has been expanded at least somewhat.

This principle has guided the career decisions I have made as an urban school teacher in one of the poorest attendance zones in the state of Oklahoma. 

It has guided my voting, which is by and large for candidates of the Democratic Party, the party that most nearly mirrors my concept of Justice.

It has guided, in the main, my consuming habits meaning that whenever I have a choice, I buy locally. I also try to buy as much Fair Trade as I can when I cannot buy locally.

And it has guided the choices I have attempted to make in regards to the environment, conserving as much as possible, living with a little carbon footprint as I can manage.

I know that this sounds pretentious, but it is my choice.  I try not to judge those who may live different than I. ("Judge not, but discern to your heart's content.") I simply wish to affirm to myself, to challenge myself to live up to my stated life's principles. 

That's my motto. What's yours?

No comments: