Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Cat and I Taking Classes


I have not been blogging lately because since Monday, Cat and I have been at Tulsa University taking a summer Advanced Placement English Literature seminar. I am doing this despite the fact that I won't be teaching an AP course next year at Centennial. I think though that much of what I will learn can be used in my English courses.

For example, today we did an exercise with writing and painting. The technique actually has a name: Ekphrasis which is defined as the graphic representation of a work of art. An example of this in poetry would be John Keats poem "Ode on a Grecian Urn." We first did a free writing about our childhood and then did a water color presenting our free writing. Then we wrote a "poetic" representation of our writing and painting. Then we did a "free painting" by trying to paint something in 3 minutes. Then we wrote about what we had painted.

I think I can use this.

No comments: