Thursday, January 21, 2016

Messed Up Day


Today was a wreck, and it was not the kids fault.  In fact, they were great!  My technology, though, had it in for me.

A bit of background. We have a lot of technology in our school. I mean, a WHOLE LOT of technology that is supposed to make learning engaging, interactive, and a lot of other edu-speak cliches. Actually, its pretty good WHEN IT WORKS. When it doesn't, as Keith Jackson used to say, 
WHOA NELLIE!
A district IT guy came in on Wednesday to work on my laptop.  He installed some stuff and then left. I was in an after school meeting. The next morning, I found out that he had logged in under his name, and I spent a few futile minutes trying to log in under my name. When I got around that, I found that I could not open up my program to take attendance.  Then I discovered that my laptop and the Smartboard I use to display videos, Power Points, witty memes, whatever, the two were not speaking to each other.  

All this time, the kids were behaving quite well. No conflicts broke out. Everyone played nice. I heard several expression of sympathy and pity.  Some of the kids I have had the most trouble with were on their best behavior.  I will have some nice parent contacts to make tomorrow.

Finally, with a cry for help sent to IT over the help line, the tech issues got worked out. But if this should happen again, I know what my response will be.
Just kidding, maybe


No comments: