Friday, June 05, 2009

I Begin My Year As A National Board Teacher Certification Candidate

Morrison Hall on the SEOSU campus where most of the workshops were held.
This workshop was for those seeking National Board certification in Adolescents and Young Adult Language Arts. It was taught by Jonetta Jonte and Claudia Swisher
Many of the classrooms were very crowded.
I am learning about the Family Involvement element in my portfolio.
On Wednesday and Thursday, I attended the National Board for Teacher Certification (NBCT) workshop on the campus of Southeastern Oklahoma State University in Durant, Oklahoma.

I was one of over 400 teacher candidate who attended. The workshop is required of all those who received the $2500 scholarship which pays for our candidate year. The scholarship is made possible through funding provided by the Oklahoma legislature through the Oklahoma Commission for Teacher Preparation's program entitled Education Leadership Oklahoma.

This was quite a heady experience. Two days of classes and seminars preparing us for the NBTC's requirement to become nationally certified educators. It was a little like trying to take a drink from a firehose. So much to digest.

I particulary appreciated once again meeting and working with Jonetta Jonte of Southeast High School in Oklahoma City and Claudia Swisher from Norman North High School. Jonetta and I taught at John Marshall together. Claudia is a fellow Oklahoma Writing Project alum.

No comments: